Monday, June 7, 2010

Porter Is Here!

Sorry it's taken me this long to post! It's crazy adjusting to a new baby again and I had family in town too so it's been busy busy busy! Porter was like Ella. He didn't want to arrive early or on time so my doctor induced me on May 17th (actual due date was May 12th). I was scheduled to be induced at 5am.
Here I am at 4:30am ready to head for the hospital. Dave's sister Shelly was nice enough to have Ella stay with her the night before so we wouldn't have to drop her off on the way to the hospital.
Dave got comfortable in the hospital really fast =). Surprisingly, when the nurses checked me I was already dilated to a 4 when I got to the hospital. Of course I was REALLY excited about that because it meant I could have my epidural right away if I wanted and OF COURSE I wanted it ASAP! I was in no pain yet mind you but why have pain if you don't have to? Anywho, the nurses took my blood for a blood test and came back informing me that my platlette levels were too low =(! This meant no epidural unless they went up. My petocin had already been started and the nurses told me I had to wait 3 hours for the next blood test. My contractions were barely noticeable for the first hour or so and then they got pretty intense. When they finally came back in to do the second blood test I was pretty nervous. My birth plan had pretty much been to have an EPIDURAL! When the nurse came back she told me my platelette levels had dropped another point but that the anesthesiologist on duty agreed to go ahead and do the epidural anyway. My nurse told me I was lucky that doctor was on duty because most wouldn't have given me an epidural with my levels that low. My epidural went WONDERFULLY! I was SOOOO relieved! My mom arrived at the hospital right after I got my epidural. After my epidural kicked in my nurse broke my water then checked me to see how dilated I was and she said she couldn't feel my cervix! So I was already dilated to a 10! Lucky for me they hadn't checked my dilation before giving me my epidural or I probably wouldn't have gotten one! After that things got a little crazy! Porter was ready to come out RIGHT AFTER she broke my water but the doctor hadn't even been called yet. Porter's heart rate dropped too. It was down to 70bpm which is REALLY low! The nurse was by herself so she had Dave do stuff with my IV and he had to call the front desk to have them call my doctor. About 5 minutes later a ton of nurses came flying into our room and I had no idea what was going on. They gave me medicine to stop my contractions so the doctor could get there in time, they put an oxygen mask on me and gave me medicine to speed up Porter's heart rate which also sped up mine so I felt really weird for a while. The doctor finally got there and Porter was born at 11:45am. Porter was 8lbs. and 5oz., 19 & 3/4 inches long, and his head was 14 & 3/4 inches around. Shelly brought Ella over a little later that day so she could meet her new little brother. She was so cute! She kept pointing at Porter and saying,"Wow! Baby!"




Other visitors we had that day were Dave's parents Janae and Buddy and my old co-workers Gohar and Ede.
Here are some pics of Porter in the hospital.


My little sister was too young to go to the hospital so she came over the next day to see Porter.

Here are some pics more pics of him at home:





6 comments:

Jen Merrill said...

crazy birth story tori! he is adorable! cant wait to see u guys ---whenever that will be... ;)

Meg said...

Congratulations, Tori! I am so happy he came healthy and darling and that you both are okay. I bet it was scary there for awhile.

I wish you the best!

Hope said...

I am SO glad you got your epidural! That is the best, huh? I'm glad things went well. What a beautiful baby! He really is perfect! Good job to both of you. Hope all goes well adjusting to two kids. It's pretty fun!

CorLesMarBoPiKo said...

He is so Georgeous. You have a wonderful family.

Kelli said...

He seriously is soooo cute! He kind of reminds me of Spencer. I read your facebook post about crying babies. The first three months are the toughest for me. Congrats again. Can't wait to meet him.

Sheena said...

Yay! I love birth stories!! He's such a little cutie Tori!! I'm excited to meet him!!